Thursday, March 24, 2011

Men of Rome

I asked all of my close friends what I should bring them from Italy. Many of the ragazzi responded, “bring me an Italian hottie!” As I appreciate the Sartorialist Blog, I camped out Friday at lunchtime to take a few shots with a telephoto lens at the base of the Spanish Steps. I wish I could edit, zoom and crop, but these are the raw pics.

I am sure I have seen this gent before, he is the head of some major house; dang…..why don’t the guys in the U.S. look like this!

IMG_4186
He worked the Steps like they were a catwalk, top button buttoned, perfect spread collar~

IMG_4188

Enfin, a grimace, but he was not looking at me….chubby tie, blue lenses, perfect scruff;…setting the standard….

IMG_4190

Italian men love hair in the wind, scarves, aviators…..

IMG_4199

I saw these kinds of scarves in Florence for $500. Again, lots of hair, better to run your fingers through~

IMG_4245

Italian hair, intaglio pinkie ring and perfect suit, with two buttons on the sleeve….

IMG_4252

I have many photos of this guy, in perfect khaki style with tuxedo stripe on the pant; he was on the phone back and forth for 45 minutes…..note again the facial scruff…..

IMG_4227

It seems the best accessory for an Italian man is a cell phone. Even the police are on the phone!

IMG_4195

This guy had two phones ringing at the same time. Do I answer this one?

IMG_4261

Or this one?

IMG_4260

There was little hands-free, Italians love the phone pressed to their ear~

IMG_4224

IMG_4277

Outside of the Gucci store down the block they were on the phone and posing while on break...they knew I was taking their photo and loved it...dang don’t they look great! And they know it.

IMG_4312

There was a little theatrical nature as well, with a “Roman” among the crowd, for photo ops….

IMG_4289

IMG_4288

While we are discussing the men of Rome, let’s not forget the Swiss Guard at the Vatican. This gracious Guard spoke perfect French, Italian and English. Even in those yellow and purple tights~

IMG_4107

I welcome a return to the classics; to dressing in three piece suits. Don’t these men look great? This is not France, this is not the U.S.; welcome to Italy~

IMG_4238

Oh and lest you think I only shot pics of men, they were the stars, but there were women such as this; how does she manage the cobblestones? I do not know, but she was the top….

IMG_4280

I took so many photos, these are but a few. The expression, the gestes…. the scarves and sunglasses….

IMG_4211

Young or old, the Roman men exude style….

IMG_4295Even the livery drivers, everyone is on the phone….

IMG_4275

Don't forget to check my post yesterday with a fantastic French Hat Giveaway......

12 comments:

  1. I adore European men! Especially the Italians. James Bond is of Italian heritage, but has yet to perfect the Italian look (though he'd dearly love to). He does on occasion pull off some European flair though. He gets excited when someone mistakes him for a native (German).
    BTW, I have navigated many a cobblestone street in my heels. It's an art. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had a fantastic Roman holiday! Great shots, the last gent in the vest looks especially dashing, along with the one in the raincoat - but I am still a complete goner over my French Honey!
    WIshing you a belle weekend...how did your Italian work out? I'm sure you were brilliant with all that inpsiration.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh, swoon, heart pitter patter. I feel like I've discovered a naughty pastime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, and you are not bringing one of these men home for me!!?? So good looking and well put together!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy! did this bring back memories. My very first trip to Italy started in Genoa, I was to meet the Captain of the yacht Patricia. He was the friend of a friend. He asked me to come to Genoa and he would take me to some Islands
    and Cannes on the boat. Well I was waiting at a sidewalk cafe, admiring the sidewalks. At 5 pm people were getting off work and I never saw so many Beautiful men dressed to the nines. Italian
    Men are so handsome and well dressed, over there. Enjoy the sights, they are in every town.
    Now women in Milan wow! Fashion capital..
    Wish I were with you.
    yvonne
    .

    ReplyDelete
  6. James Bond is of Italian heritage? I think not. His charm is that of an Englishman, through and through. Bond Street itself is famous for men's suits, hand-tailored. But he is not the only charming man around. Quite clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopflower, you are very right! But in this case, James Bond is also the nick-name/blog-code-name for Mom In High Heel's hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look like treasures to me!
    Good eye my friend:)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun post!!!!!!!! They all look great! I wonder if any of them knew you were shooting and just LIKED it!!!!!!!!! Now am I going to have to get two phones???? Glad you had a fun trip.Maryanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I see. Now THAT clears things up! He must be, indeed, very charming.

    It is nice to see men take some pride in themselves, though. American men generally have a lot lacking in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just came back to admire your photography skills again...*sigh*
    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello there I am so glad I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Regardless I am
    here now and would just like to say kudos for a remarkable post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the
    theme/design), I don't have time to browse it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome work.
    My webpage: christian louboutin sale

    ReplyDelete