Monday, January 11, 2010

Galette des Rois


Where has the last week gone? Well, I guess I've been too busy shopping for perfume, hammering out PR for the new year and spring line, and packing up the Christmas stuff to get all my posts in...
In France, the Christmas season ends with l'Epiphanie, on the 6th of January, the feast of the Three Kings, celebrating the Magi's visit to the newborn Jesus.
In France, almost every bakery has the traditional Galette des Rois, which is baked with a favor or feve inside. Whoever gets the little feve in their slice of cake gets to wear the paper crown which comes with the cake. The feves are of course very collectible when they are ancien; the old ones were made of porcelaine in various shapes, such as Baby Jesus, crowns, shoes (forget the meaning), animals and other; that is worth a totally new post....
I remember well Paris in early January, seeing all the cakes in the bakeries; here in Laguna, unfortunately, Jean-Paul will make one for you, if you ask in advance. I wouldn't dare ask him now, he would tell me, trop tard!
btw I ended up buying Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere. It's very light, it's fun; it's great pour le printemps.

No comments:

Post a Comment