Thursday, December 13, 2012

Driving North of Beaune

Yesterday I woke at my usual time, just after 4am.  I wish I could sleep longer than that, in any time zone, but it seems I naturally need to sleep about 5-6 hours a night and then I am up for the day.  R was ZZZzzzing rather loudly next to me, but and I was ready to get up and get to work;  I managed to doze off and on or a few more hours, and woke again before 8am.  I think I feel more tired when I sleep late, so that’s enough of that.  Breakfast and coffee, a 45 minute walk and a little shopping was next as I left R at home to work.

I often like to blog on themes; this visit I am showing you a little more of what my days in Burgundy are like, even in the dead of winter, which is mere shades of what is to be seen and done in summer or spring.  One of my favorite stores in town carries the classic yet contemporary French lines.  If I need anything aesthetically simple yet pretty, I go there. They also carry the complete Mis en Demeure line.   I love to see their accessories each time I’m in town, and I always buy a few things there.  In case you wondered if the French are waning on the grey look; you are wrong, very, very wrong; I’d take 15 of these plates, right now~

IMG_0492

Here is just a part of the display.  It is always tons of French and French-style glass; linens galore, dishes~

IMG_0493

I love these bowls; these are all from the Cote Table line. Also of note, LOTS of grey candles.  I don’t remember seeing a lot of grey candles, but they are out, big, here. Will show you more tomorrow.  I love the boutis placemats and candles, in fact I love everything about this store, though I am always embarrassed to take photos there though the staff is really nice.

IMG_0494

Back home for lunch, R opened a dozen oysters, and we had the rest of the crevettes

IMG_0514

After lunch, it was time for a drive; we both wanted to go north of Beaune; Nuits Saint George, Chambolle Musigny and on.  There is work to be done year-round in the vineyards, and this time of year they are trimming the vines and burning the vines they cut.

IMG_0516

Usually at this time of the year the vines are stripped clean; there was some late rain this year that was supposed to cause some rot and eventually low yields. Even so, I was surprised to see some parcels still having vines with residual grapes~

IMG_0519

No matter the season, there are always great photo ops in Burgundy, and ones I have never seen.  What do you think about this, over a doorway?~

IMG_0521

The hay is stacked to the rafters for winter; a lovely sight~

IMG_0523

And it is indeed winter, as up above the cote north of Beaune there was snow in the fields~

IMG_0525

I let R drive today, which is nice since I get to scout for photos.  Stop! Back up! Just ahead a little! Let me see this big fat cat on top of the wall~

IMG_0526

and as I watched the cat, and he watched me back, he was on the move~

IMG_0527

No mistaking that this cat is French; just look at his face, and of course, he is walking gracefully over a half-hollowed barrel~

IMG_0529

Further down the road, the men were back at work.  It was –1 here, cold….but the work goes on~IMG_0531

We stopped in Chambolle Musigny for a tasting at a cave we hadn’t visited before, but it didn’t disappoint~

IMG_0532

We both loved this wine, but we’ll be back on Sunday to compare it to a Morey Saint Denis.

IMG_0534

Back at home, I was ready for a little tea, the water was heated up in Guy’s 3 litre kettle. 

IMG_0536

R and I were up until after midnight talking, reading together and making notes and plans for the week.  And I also did a lot of work on the little Christmas tree.  Tomorrow, another day, another series of things to do and more lovely things to see and to eat!!!

9 comments:

  1. Yes, to the garden water pitcher over the door.

    Love that store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a fabulous day, love the shop with the rustic feel. & that cat ! you caught every French look. all to be finished off with a very decadent lunch of oysters & crevettes. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just could not go away your website prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed the usual information
    a person provide to your visitors? Is going to be back steadily in order to investigate cross-check new posts
    Look into my site ... golden virginia tobacco

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun!
    I really look forward to each new post...
    That cat is hilarious and you are so right, he is French through and through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading your blog - very interesting and fun. (I want your life...) I may have missed this - but I have searched and searched - Who is R?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulously Beautiful! From shopping to eating and the beautiful scenery.Thanks for sharing~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness! The watering can... The country "sophistacat" next to a wine barrel carved to look like a crown! Did I just jump into a storybook?
    That shop! Just now got my breath back from the taking!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your photos and recaps of your outings. Thanks for keeping us in mind so we can also enjoy the scenery. What a beautiful place and a treat for the eyes. Great dish shop!

    Sheila in S.F.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea, so many fabulous images, wine tasting, and then lovely Tea with R. I love seeing your copper!

    I have to catch you up soon. I am hoping for a large Eze basket!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2012 Artists Series

    ReplyDelete