Saturday, July 19, 2014

Summer Brocante

Ahhh, summer in Beaune and Brittany!  So much to show you and tell you, though I haven’t had time yet to blog about it, I will be posting a lot, soon.  Each day has been busier than the last, and chock full of gorgeous French imagery.  In a few minutes I will be off to the big Saturday open air market here in Beaune, to do my shopping for the week and record the summer bounty.  The last few days have been 100 degrees here, and the afternoons have been passed with good friends and cold glasses of wine.  Next week, though, I will be back in California to style the wedding of my niece, near Carmel.  I have found a lot of great antique items this summer, some of which I can bring back to California with me.  So today, here are a few items which are now for sale and can be brought to California with me.  If you do not live in Southern California, I can ship to you within the United States (buyer to pay actual cost of shipping).  Are you ready to shop???

[Note: There is a Paypal button below each item; since I am in France the button is in French: to Purchase, click on the Acheter button.]

1.  Set of six vintage horn knives in a very vintage box $45~  SOLD

IMG_3807

9 3/4” long, with the blades in good rust-free condition; I will clean these a bit more before delivery~

IMG_3808

Three of the handles are round and three are squared off; all in good condition except one which has a small split, which is common in horn-handled vintage knives.  The viroles or collars are shiny but I do not think they are sterling.  Generally, a great set of vintage French knives!

SOLD  SOLD  SOLD  

2.  Set of assorted silverplate flatware: 26 pieces in total $25~     SOLD

There are 12 forks and 14 large spoons~

IMG_3810

The patterns, sizes and weights are all slightly different; this is great French picnic-ware~

IMG_3811

SOLD  SOLD   SOLD 

3.  Set of two vintage French butcher or kitchen knives $60~

IMG_3812

These are beautiful knives with fine wood handles and copper finishings (the three rivets where the blades are attached).  The longest is 15 1/4” long, the other is just a bit shorter.

IMG_3813

4.  Set of 24 milk-glass type plates $50~ SOLD

These plates are very pretty!  They are probably 1960’s-‘70’s and are stamped “France” on the bottom.  Similar to a milk-glass kind of a look….The smaller set is 7 1/2” in diameter, and 9” diameter on the large plates.  More picnic ware!  I’d love to set a table with them~

IMG_3816

Nice set of 24 plates~!

IMG_3814

There are twelve of each size.

IMG_3815

SOLD  SOLD  SOLD!

5.  Grandmere’s Mirror.  $75~

Classic French mirror from the early 20th Century.  Unfinished bamboo-style frame; the glass measures 10” x 14 1/2, with a small chain for hanging.

IMG_3865

I always love these mirrors!  The glass is in perfect condition (I did not clean it yet) and the back is covered in cardboard.  A few small wormholes give you a clue as to age. 

IMG_3866

6.  Heavy cotton and linen sheet $20~  SOLD

IMG_3817

There is a faded red monogram I can not identify; approximately 80” x 100” ….I would use it for a picnic blanket but you can also use it on a bed or for a sofa throw.  It’s very heavy and good quality cotton and linen blend.

IMG_3818

 

SOLD  SOLD  SOLD!

7.  Shabby Chic milk or water pitcher $25~  SOLD

IMG_3819

This pitcher has great lines and patina,  It is white enamel, which has started to peel off to reveal a green undertone.IMG_3820

Approximately 16” tall and 8” wide at the base.  Traces of blue paint on the interior and this greenish paint on the exterior can be left as is or can be soaked off to get it back to all-white.  This is from Brittany.

IMG_3821

This would be so pretty with flowers in it!

 

 

IMG_3822

SOLD  SOLD  SOLD!

8.  Vintage French Malle or Trunk $450~

This is probably my very favorite purchase this summer.  It dates to the late 19th or early 20th Century and at one point had a cream liner which has since been removed. 

IMG_3826

There is a leather tag on the front which reads “Malle Francaise Marque Deposee” which means French Trunk Trademarked.”

IMG_3770

I have been using this the last few weeks as my coffee table, though it was originally someone’s suitcase.  Just think of where this trunk has been!  IMG_3827

There is a brass lock on the front which is missing the key; at a later time someone added a second lock.IMG_3828

There are handles on each side.

IMG_3829

There is wear on the bottom edges, consistent with age and use, which does not detract from its beauty.  I will have this shrink-wrapped and bring it back on the plane with me.  Remember, local pickup or buyer to pay actual shipping…but at least you don’t have to pay the shipping from France~

IMG_3830

10.  200+ French wine corks $20~

These are all French corks, from Burgundy or Bordeaux; the bowl is not included!!

Great for your crafting projects; I just pile them around pillar candles in hurricane vases for an authentic souvenir of France~

IMG_3831

 

IMG_3832

11.  Early 20th Century Copper Basin $300~  SOLD

This was originally made for making jam or preserves, but it will be beautiful on a kitchen island full of fruit or as an ice bucket full of chilled wine.  14” diameter on the basin and 16 1/2” wide to the edge of each handle.IMG_3833

I bought this recently in Brittany while antiquing with my friend Guy.  It’s a beautiful piece and not too large to find plenty of use.

IMG_3834

The rim is heavy and rolled; a fine example of vintage French copper~

IMG_3835

The handles are flat, with copper rivets~

IMG_3836

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

I hope you enjoyed a little bit of shopping; look for more posts soon~

7 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm here!
    Be still my heart!
    Loving your Summer in France "retreat" dearest Andrea!
    ( Can you believe that I am still wrapped in that cherished piece of burlap you sent me? ...on the blog once again!)
    It is with joy that you bring Beaune to me!
    withLove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hooked me with that instagram photo of that wonderful trunk...if I could only find a place for it!,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so many beauties Andrea. I would have bought the linen sheet in a heartbeat, just saw the posting!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena
    Europe: Simply Irresistible

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andrea!!!
    Lovely treasures my friend!
    But what I am most excited about is that you will be near me when you are in Carmel! Do you need an assistant?
    Can you come stay with me for a bit when it is over? PLEASE

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely collection of STUFF!Happy to see you have already SOLD a good amount!Can't believe your back so soon...........the time has flown!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful things. Pity you don't ship internationally ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! My Andrea,
    I so missed out on this sale! I am with Karena on the Linens, as well love the French basket, and water pitcher. Your beautiful brocante pieces are going to new homes and so wish they were arriving here at mine,

    Love all your creative finds, and hope to not miss out on a future sale.

    Xx
    Bisous

    Doré

    ReplyDelete