Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Fall Farm to Table Prep

I am running through my memory banks trying to figure out when I had to host somewhat elaborate dinner parties.  Ever since the day I bought a plywood round to go on a tiny three legged table in my NYC studio, I think it’s always been onwards and upwards.  This weekend I am delighted to hostess a dinner party in honor of three of my favorite Blogger/IG friends coming to visit.  What am I going to do?? Put on the dog, so to speak, and roll out some awesome food, gather some wonderful people and have a party!  Tomorrow in the wee hours I am going to the flower mart to get greens to supplement the garden cuttings and flowers for the table.  And I had a nice arch of cornstalk with fairylights at night but the Canadian Farm Girl Boss doesn’t like it, so tomorrow we go for olivier or something green. 

20140926_183800

I love to create a menu around what is seasonal and best and what new foods my guests would like to try.  Sunchoke aka Jerusalem Artichoke is on that list, and today at the Santa Monica Farmers market I bought two kinds.  They look gnarly but they have a great taste, raw~

20141015_120501

Awesome figs, yes, came home with me.  Fall compote for the dessert table….

20141015_121206

Great fall colors, though I did not buy….

20141015_123329

I love to introduce American shoppers to celery root or celeri rave or celeriac.  Whatever you call it, it’s a versatile staple you should know how to use….

20141015_123809

No pomegranates for this party, but the display was nice….

20141015_124238

A thoroughly French Portrait: Potimarron and Celeri-rave~

20141015_124823

Posies were pretty, but I bought their Herbes de Provence goat cheese, which I will use for an appie~

20141015_125251

And organic fresh dates….calling for bacon and bleu~

20141015_125835

Back in Laguna, I loved what I had found.  Quince to go in a compote, grey shallots, dried and fresh strawberries…it was all good~

20141015_161425

Soon everyone was tucked in~ YUM.  These will be topped with cream and berries and then lidded. Personal desserts, French Style. Oui.

20141015_172639

Mendiants made with organic pecan and candied orange zest and dried strawberry that packs a punch~

20141015_205216

I made pecan cookies with a different butter than usual..and I got a spread.  Ooops. 

20141015_205859

But no worries, I gave them the Jackson Pollock treatment and they taste great~~~

20141015_210105

Tomorrow we have another day of work, more cooking and baking and shopping…starting with the flower mart.  It will all be worth it…can’t wait to welcome our guests on Friday~

9 comments:

  1. Bonjour,

    Que du délice pour les yeux et les papilles ! Un très joli billet.
    Gros bisous ☼

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I will be there in spirit, as always!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the luscious summer vegetables, I love it when autumn veg takes over, Celeriac in a gratin, Potiron in my house starts off as a decoration then it's transformed into a delicious soup, or chopped in chunks and roasted. Enjoy hosting your blogger friends. I too think something green for your welcome archway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea I am so excited to hear each and every detail of this dinner party. After the one in which you honored me and my granddaughter Isabella, I have had many visions of moving back to Southern California!
    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. The magic … you create with food my dear … simply amazing!

    Thank you again for the introduction to celery root … our mashed potatoes will never be the same!

    So excited to see you today! Make sure you have a real list … I am an excellent worker!

    xoxo
    Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too much!!!!
    The French Laundry has nothing over you!
    How did we all get so fortunate!!!!
    xxOO
    See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. BELÍSSIMAS FOTOS.

    AMO OS FRUTOS DA TERRA.

    BEIJINHOS,

    LÍGIA E =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a feast for the eyes!! I'm very excited to meet you and witness your masterful entertaining in person!! Packing now!
    xo~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nor can I wait!ALL looks DELICIOUS!HATS off to the CHEF!
    Whats wrong with the CANADIAN FARM GIRL BOSS......those cornstalks look FABULOUS!
    We are in for a good time!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete