Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Gift

I went for a hike this morning, early, armed with a pair of shears, a large basket and my pair of trusty dogs.  The goal was to gather as many wild toyon or California Holly berry bunches as possible, which you will see soon.  Along the way, in the midst of a thorny bramble bush now denuded of foliage, I found a perfectly intact bird’s nest.  Unfortunately, the egg had been pilfered, in the middle of the large and carefully created nest, and subsequently abandoned by Mommy Bird.  Shears in hand, I snipped the nest free and reversed the egg~

IMG_9654

A precious egg…in the soft center of the nest…

IMG_9655

…there among the careful construction of thorny bramble branches~

IMG_9657

In addition to all the holly berries, greens and other goodies from the garden, this nest is a magnificent Christmas Gift, from Nature, to Me.  Thank you, Mother Nature!  The nest now has a prime corner location in my dining room~

IMG_9720

The nest has become a sort of a metaphor for me this season, with its harsh exterior protecting the delicate interior.

IMG_9658

As I played around with various ornaments in lieu of the egg, I thought of several friends and family, going through a tough time for various reasons this holiday season.

IMG_9659

Can we find that sweet spot, in the center of all the bramble of trouble?

IMG_9660

How I wish that I could give the gift of good health, could erase grief, eliminate pain, rewind the clock, and clear troubled minds.

IMG_9661

I will instead be offering consolation, friendship, kind words, small acts and good food….

IMG_9662

I am hoping that everyone can find joy in this season, in the midst of the chaos! 

6 comments:

  1. I think you give more beauty and joy to others than you perhaps realize.
    Happy Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little treasure! I have a nest that came in our Christmas tree many years ago. It sits inside our tree each year! Merry Christmas!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    Your nest is filled with wisdom, grace, love and the joys of life! This morning'a gift to you has become today's gift to all of us!
    Merry Christmas!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature is an amazing designer as are you. The embellishments to the nest are perfect.
    Christmas is a time for reflection , to give thanks and to think of others.
    For those who are having difficulties, I wish them well.
    For the world, I wish for peace, understanding, tolerance, and respect for its fragile environment.
    Joyeux Noël Andrea.
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts are always so inspiring. Thanks for making the time in spite of this busy time to write your posts.
    Enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made your recipe for gougeres for my family over the holidays. Everyone absolutely loved them! The French Chocolate Tart will be made for New Years. Thank you for sharing your recipes. I look forward to reading your blogs.
    Best to you in 2012.

    ReplyDelete