Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Scrappy Good

This is a post I have wanted to do for some time.  What do you do with your excess pastry, the scraps? Reroll? Toss?  I don’t like to rework any dough very much, but I hate to see it go to waste.  

IMG_9411

The most treasured items in my kitchen, above anything French, are the pieces that belonged to my paternal Grandmother, Helen; she was an excellent baker and I use her Cincinnati sifters and here her sugar shaker to dust my pastry scraps just as she showed me how to make them~

IMG_9412

The concept is the same for fresh or remnant pastry; I used a pastry wheel here for puff pastry; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon; use a silpat sheet if you can for easy cleanup~

IMG_9445

The puff pastry bakes at 400 degrees like this: YUM!

IMG_9446

If your family is spoilt you will serve it to them with a fine drizzle of chocolate, as so~

IMG_9447

Shortbread, puff, brisee, whatever kind of dough, it all makes good for scraps; bake with sugar and spice and dust with powdered sugar~

IMG_9416

Try your fancy Savory Store sugars on these, you will be soooo happy~

IMG_9423

holiday recipes to continue…..hope you will try this with your bakery scraps~

7 comments:

  1. My grandmother used to make the most wonderful cookies with her scraps. She called them "Tokyos". You take the scraps, spread them with some jam, fold them over, cut into bite size pieces and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yum! I am going to have to try out some of your ideas too. They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmm !!! I totally wanted to grab those and eat them off your page :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes. My mum always did something similar as well. Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea my mother always used leftover pie pastry to make us these crisps with cinnamon sugar!

    xoxo

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea,
    I love the scraps more than the pie itself!
    Your post is a hug from the kitchen!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom would take the pie crust scraps in what ever shape they were in and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar. Very tasty. I never liked pie crust that well but I loved the scraps. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom would take the pie crust scraps in what ever shape they were in and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar. Very tasty. I never liked pie crust that well but I loved the scraps. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete