Thursday, September 10, 2009

9/11

Today is the most depressing day of the year for me. I'll just be honest. I was at the gym this morning and people were asking each other "where were you on 9/11?" At the time I was living in Jersey City, right across the Hudson from the World Trade Center. Let me tell you, if anything like 9/11 ever happened in Los Angeles, people would be devastated. It's too remote for people here; it's like just watching it on TV. Try being there; it was wrenching.

I will post photos tomorrow of that day. I was walking Napoleon out to the pier but decided for some reason to turn back. A few minutes after 9am, we heard the second plane hit; the first was while we were in the elevator. It was so loud, it was like the building down the street had been hit. The dog went nuts. I went down to the gym a short time later, and the construction workers from the building down the street were streaming towards their cars going home. I looked up and saw the towers, in amazement....

For the next few hours, I stood on the waterfront with Napoleon, watching the towers. We NEVER expected them to fall. I have clear memories in my mind of the people jumping; twisting, turning, falling. It's a LONG way down from the upper floors. It was so terribly tragic....

Signing off now, back to watching the TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment