Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fine Morocco Leather

On Sunday, a regular client came by with a basket she has had for 5+ years. She uses this for general tote, but mostly for carrying painting supplies, hence many touches of paint on the leather. She loves this basket (and so do I!) though it's a little chewed and heavily used.

This is the same palm I stock, it's a darker and slightly more rustic palm than you normally see, but it's Palm all the same. This one has a single rivet on each handle; a quality rivet, not steel, and thankfully not rusted. In a basket without leather trim, the top corners will crack and dry first~ after 10 or more years; this is the reason the best baskets are trimmed as they are; not a bad investment for a basket that will last 10+ years!
the weave is very regular, and as she and I discussed, the thread is like a waxed linen, that will not budge; similar to dental floss. I love the patina of her basket; it cost her about $48 five years ago:

Morocco is well-known for its leather; "Morocco Leather" books are made of a pigskin; here the popular Moroccan poufs $375:

here are some slippers that I can order for you. They are not cheap (~$50 wholesale), but they are buttery-soft lambskin and can be ordered in any color combination. You will find cheaper versions in the souks. I want them in neutral tones; too bad at 5'9" I have size 10 feet and can't fit any of the samples; these look best on little feet:
Think of fine aged leather; isn't it fantastic? Imagine sitting on these vintage French club chairs, on 1st Dibs Here.
or these, also Here on 1st Dibs:
the leather I use on the baskets is either brown lambskin or else natural like this, which will oxidize over time to a fine cognac color, just like the club chairs or Vuitton leather:
Note no rivets; they will often rust and these handles will never budge; never ever had a one come back, after thousands of baskets sold.

And among my classic Aix-style baskets, they will age to look like this, this vintage one from my collection with a nice 4-rivet design which I think is 10+ years old, not rusted though we are close to the beach:
the basket is not trimmed in leather, which would be preferable as it makes the basket last longer, but I use it to store & tote linens; I buy vintage French baskets when I can, but they are rare to find as people hold on to their baskets.
I do not order any baskets with anything other than leather-handles; sisal looks pretty and natural, but sisal handles hurt your hand if the basket is full; it wears well on the floor only! Though this is a vintage sisal-handled basket, and the one I use for gathering flowers & greens for holiday and parties; it opens flat like a disc and envelopes flowers without crushing them; I may special order a copy later in the fall:
Meanwhile, I will continue to stock the classics:
also the zip-tops, already aged-looking in lambskin:
I love to do custom orders; email me if you want anything you do not see, or if you are in desperate need of any products in Moroccan leather!

3 comments:

  1. This is great information, Andrea! It really shows how wonderful your baskets are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have carried my small basket as a purse every single day this summer. I am hard on purses but your beautiful basket has held up wonderfully. The handles are of course the perfet leather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I am so glad to stumble across your blog, wonderful baskets etc!!! I will explore further, in the meantime, am your newest follower...would love to chat sometime about all that you do...pls visit me at Chic Provence!! I am also in California, lived in Provence and my heart is still there, I get back often..

    a bientot!

    Kit

    ReplyDelete